skip navigation

RECAP: City falls to Cincinnati in third Dirty River Derby

By LouCity, 09/11/18, 8:15PM EDT


After resuming play from Saturday's match against Cincinnati with the visitors up 0-1 and 37:43 on the clock, LouCity could not find the goal they needed as they dropped the final Dirty River Derby of the regular season to Cincinnati in front of just over 10,000 at Slugger Field.


What Happened?
On a night with much rain in the forecast, the “Boys in Purple” entered Saturday’s match in search for their first win at Slugger Field since the mid-July matchup with the Charleston Battery.

Louisville City began Saturday’s third and final go-around in the Dirty River Derby with a Cameron Lancaster rip from midfield to kickoff the match, coming up short but showing City’s want for a third win against foe FC Cincinnati.

Slipping and sliding across the field, both sides spent the first 22 minutes in a back-and-forth battle for possession before FC Cincinnati opened the score sheet.

A ball from Cincinnati’s Manu Ledesma lead midfielder Corben Bone into the penalty box, who eventually slipped one past Louisville City ‘keeper Greg Ranjitsingh and into the back of the net.

After fifteen more minutes of play, the match was delayed due to lightning in the area. The match would be suspended until Tuesday, September 11, with the game clock set to 37:43 as play resumed.

With the remainder of the match kicked off, Louisville City pressed in an attempt to strike before the break but came up emptyhanded and headed into the half down a goal.

As the second half got underway, it became clear FC Cincinnati was attempting to keep a high possession time for the next 45 minutes.

A 58th-minute attack from City’s George Davis IV created enough space for the midfielder to get a shot off, one that would be deflected by Cincinnati ‘keeper Spencer Richey.

Richey’s deflection found City’s Devon “Speedy” Williams in the middle of the penalty box, but Williams’s follow-up flew just above the crossbar and out of play.

Another scoring opportunity would come for the “Boys in Purple” when Oscar Jimenez’s 66th minute run finished with a foul above the box once again. The ever-dangerous forward Cameron Lancaster stepped up and delivered a beautiful shot, though the bending free kick wound up just right of the far post.

A pressing attack from Louisville City would see the club finish with nearly 60% possession, but a plethora of second-half chances never broke the stingy play from the Cincinnati back line.

Up next for Louisville City is a road match as the club travels to Pittsburgh to take on the Riverhounds. Kickoff at Highmark Stadium is set for Saturday, September 15 at 7 p.m.


The Key Points:

  • Though several days passed between the original kickoff and resuming of play, the only change to either lineups was a bench change as Chris Hubbard replaced Jose Carranza.
  • With Louisville City’s loss at Slugger, the club has now gone five games without a win at home.


Injury Report:
OUT – Brian Ownby
OUT – Magnus Rasmussen


FC Cincinnati 1 : 0 Louisville City FC
Tuesday, September 11, 2018
Louisville Slugger Field | Louisville, KY
71 degrees / overcast
Attendance: 10,009

Scoring Summary:
FCC – Corben Bone (assist – Manu Ledesma) 23’

Disciplinary Summary:
FCC – Spencer Richey 90’+2
LOU – Paolo DelPiccolo 90’+3

Starting XI (4-3-3): Greg Ranjitsingh (GK); Kyle Smith, Paco Craig, Alexis Souahy (Richard Ballard 81’), Oscar Jimenez; Devon “Speedy” Williams, Paolo DelPiccolo (c), Niall McCabe (Shaun Francis 65’), Ilija Ilic (Luke Spencer 71’), George Davis IV; Cameron Lancaster 

Bench: Tim Dobrowolski, Chris Hubbard, Sean Totsch, Pat McMahon